Thursday, 16 April 2009

Dad gets back to his musical roots...


The Easter holiday arrived, and with my birthday on the horizon M suggested a Ukulele as a potential birthday present. I must confess I was dubious to begin with - though I have also felt a yearning for some non-computer based interest in my life. So, I borrowed M's Uke to have a go.

All I can say is, I love it. In just a couple of days I had enough Chords to play Cohen's Hallelujah off by heart, along with the usual "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" (typical beginners stuff) from music. I never thought that I would ever play tunes on a stringed instrument with any degree of skill since I traded the violin for an oboe at the end of the 80's. Any attempt at the guitar left me crestfallen as I simply couldn't get my hands round the neck for some chords without leaning on all the other strings... the Uke has changed my mind about strings. In just a week of playing I have been able to add "Dream a Little Dream of Me" by the Mamas and the Papas to my off by heart list, and can play loads of others from chord sheets. Wow.

The best thing is, M and I can play duets. It's such fun.

Just watch out at Christmas, you'll know if we are carolling you, because every carol will have a Hawaiian Ukulele lilt to it :-D

M will therefore be giving me a Uke for my birthday.

And if you are interested yourself, we recommend the Kala soprano Uke as a great beginners instrument. Has decent tuning keys (the geared kind) and made from decent wood:

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars/Acoustic/Ukulele/sc1414/p6730.aspx

There are other ones (e.g. Ashton) which we tried but it wasn't good. Hence recommending the above - plus, it gets good recommendations from others on the internet.
And if you do get a Uke, don't forget my Uke Tuner software:

http://myfamilynewspaper.blogspot.com/2008/07/uke-tuner.html

2 comments:

Kathi said...

Wow. So are you going for a blue one then Dan? Sounds like you're having fun. I shall look forward to those Christmas Carols.

We've gone all brass here, with Ellen on cornet (since sept)and Thomas on trombone (since dec), so I've had my trumpet out a lot more. I hate playing on my own, but it's fun to play together.

Ruthie said...

I'm so impressed! And that Halelujah is a classic. You'll be joining the George Formby fan group next and playing along to 'My Little Stick of BlackPool Rock.'
(or maybe not).
You must record yourself and post it for us...